Tuesday 8 December 2015

Are You a Mommy or a Daddy?

Today was my oldest's Christmas Concert at school.  While awaiting the children to be marched onto the stage, one child in the audience turned to me and asked, with pure curiosity: "Are you a Mommy or a Daddy?"

Some may have been offended, put off, or even saddened.  I wasn't.  To the contrary, I would like to applaud the lil guy for having courage to ask what he is truly wondering.  Let's face it, most are accustomed to the idea that moms have a fair amount of hair and only dads have little to none.  Don't mention the breasts as being evidence that I'm female, I've seen plenty of guys that could make a Victoria's Secret model jealous of their cup size.

My reply?  "I'm a Mommy, but I don't have any hair."  That was it.  He turned back to see if there was something interesting happening on stage, yet.  If he had asked why I had no hair, I would have answered that, as well.  He didn't though.  This person next to him probably sounded like a Mom voice, maybe he did think it was a Mom body, but there was something off.  His quick acceptance of my response leads me to believe I'm correct in thinking it was the bald head.

I'm glad the boy asked his question.  We need to encourage kids to ask questions when they think something isn't quite right.  This leads to mis-information or lies being stopped in their tracks.  It can spark converstation.  It brings education.

Take care, young man!  I hope no one squashes your curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment